Is your child of secondary school age? The U.S. Embassy in Sudan is seeking nominations for its Pan-Africa Youth Leadership Program (PAYLP) to support U.S. foreign policy priorities.
In order to achieve its aim, the program offers secondary school youth (ages 15-18) the opportunity to explore priority policy themes such as conflict resolution, economic development, entrepreneurship, civic education, youth leadership, women’s rights, and respect for diversity.
Through three-week, intensive exchanges in the United States, participants will engage in workshops on leadership and service, community site visits related to the program themes and subthemes, interactive training in conflict resolution, presentations, visits to high schools, local cultural activities, and homestays with American families.
A key component of the program requires participants to develop follow-on community-based projects in their home communities to effect positive change after their return home.
The spring program (April 7-28, 2019) will be conducted solely in English and will take place at various colleges, universities, and institutions throughout the United States over the course of three weeks in April 2019.
- Participants should be secondary school students aged 15 to 18 years at the start of the exchange who have demonstrated their leadership potential through academic achievement;
- be proficient in English;
- be able to attend at least one year of secondary school in Sudan following completion of the program;
- indicate a serious interest in learning more about the United States of America;
- have a high level of academic achievement, as indicated by academic grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate a personal commitment to community service and record of engagement in extracurricular activities;
- have had little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of Sudan;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive program, including community service events and an active educational travel program during the exchange, as well as in follow-on activities afterward in Sudan.
Deadline for applications is December 16, 2018
For more information, please visit HERE