On Sustainability: It’s DOING time!
At every turn nowadays–from Lagos to Los Angeles — Sustainability is becoming mainstream and familiar. However, there still seems to be confusion as to the definition and what Sustainability really means.
Candidly, we really should rise above explaining Sustainability, and expedite ACTION!
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide a golden opportunity to embrace globally agreed-upon language while adapting a solid framework to “end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.”
While it holds true that many organizations and nations are already on their SDG journey, the rate of progress is far slower, considering what is left of the target time, which of course, is barely ten years!
It’s time to take actionable steps in the right direction!
Every person, organization and community has a role to play and needs to be a part of bringing solutions. The earlier we realize and accept this, the better for all of us.
As Sustainability professionals, we are on the front lines to lead and make courageous commitments – and then ACT on these commitments. We need to:
- “Up our game” and demand that our colleagues do the same.
- Increase knowledge, skills, and abilities, change corporate culture, and integrate systems thinking into business operations.
- Collaborate a lot more – across departments, companies, communities, and industries.
- Work faster and bolder – together.
Kindly consider the following points:
- What are you and your organization doing to advance the SDGs?
- What’s working?
- What are the challenges and how are you overcoming them?
- What other questions do YOU think we should be asking?
Post Credits: Marilyn Johnson
***Marilyn Johnson ISSP-CSP is a former Board president of the International Society of Sustainability Professionals, which is defining the standard of excellence for sustainability professionals and helping them improve and share best practices.***