The West Africa Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant promotes intra-African cooperation and exchange among researchers and institutions by providing support to African scholars and graduate students for research visits to other institutions on the continent. The WARC Travel Grant provides travel costs up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500. This competition is open only to West African nationals, with preference given to those affiliated with West African colleges, universities, or research institutions.
Travel grant funds may be used for the following:
- Attend and present papers at academic conferences relevant to the applicant’s field of research
- Visit libraries or archives that contain resources necessary to the applicant’s current academic work;
- Engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another institution;
- Travel to a research site.
- A brief (50-80 word) abstract of the activity to be funded, beginning with a clear statement of purpose
- A description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) of the applicant’s research and how the proposed travel is relevant to this work. This should be presented in language understandable to non-specialist readers
- A proposed budget
- A curriculum vitae with research and teaching record when relevant
- If attending a conference, an abstract of the paper to be read and a letter of acceptance to the conference
- If visiting another institution, an invitation from host institution
- If travel is to consult archives or other materials, a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research
- For graduate students, a letter of recommendation by the professor overseeing their research
- Proof of citizenship in the form of a photocopy of the applicant’s passport
All applications must be submitted online. Complete applications will include uploaded documents listed above.
Applications for the Fall 2018 WARC Travel Grant competition will open July 15th and close on Sept 15th, 2018.
For more information click here