Career Opportunities – Aviation Officer P4 – Abuja, Nigeria (54961)
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP is seeking to fill the position of Aviation Officer P4 level, based in Abuja, Nigeria.
WFP Aviation is the recognized leader in humanitarian aviation and, through its expertise, provides air services to more than 1,000 different humanitarian organizations in various locations across the world. With more than 80 contracted aircraft in over 15 aviation field operations globally, WFP provides an apt platform for aviation professionals seeking highly rewarding career opportunities. A job tenure with us is an exciting adventure which involves working in line management positions in any of our country offices and at the headquarters in Rome. Staff have an enviable career path where their knowledge and skills are enhanced in diverse areas in the aviation industry including – but not limited to – contract management, technical compliance, quality assurance, aviation safety, air operations management, aviation security and human resource management. We welcome you to be part of this exhilarating journey to facilitate humanitarian assistance to the world’s vulnerable populations.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
- Participate in the development of standard aviation operating procedures within the field, or contribute towards global aviation policies and tools for use across WFP, ensuring that aviation objectives are accomplished in compliance with WFP, UN AVSTADS, ICAO, and SARP standards.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and support to operations in the field or manage all activities and resources relating to specific WFP Aviation or UNHAS operations of moderate complexity ensuring the availability of safe, efficient and cost-effective aviation services to the humanitarian community.
- Hold accountability for the safety and security of all aviation operations within the area of assignment ensuring that all required security measures, systems and programmes are in place.
- Sustain strategic partnerships with key entities such as governments, NGOs, private sector organisations and UN agencies to facilitate coordinated and sustainable services e.g. uninterrupted humanitarian access to remote locations and readily available assets for emergency interventions.
- Maintain productive relationships with regional and country directors and WFP partners within own transportation modality/region (e.g. user agencies counterparts, regional aviation safety officers) to support effective negotiation of air operations tariffs, charges and taxes and provide a coordinated service to aviation customers within the region.
- Lead and motivate an aviation team, providing coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Build and strengthen the capacity of WFP staff, civil aviation authorities, local government institutions, user agencies and other humanitarian aviation service providers to encourage safe, efficient and cost-effective operations.
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely accounting, data analysis and reporting, to contribute to a WFP wide view of aviation activities, enabling informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of specific aviation risks to enable WFP to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Education: Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License
Experience: At least 8 years of professional experience in Aviation or related fields
Desired Experiences for Entry into The Role
- Experience leading one or more aspects of safety or quality assurance programs.
- Proven track record of managing the risk preparedness process from aviation risk identification and analysis to contingency planning.
- Managed an air transport portfolio in a complex political and/or high-risk setting.
- Coordinated with state authorities and other key stakeholders to facilitate air operations.
- Successfully led high-performing teams to deliver on project objectives.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org