Job Title: Sustainability Assistant Manager, Tanzania
Product: All products
Functional Area: Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability
Reporting Structure: East Africa Sustainability Manager
At Olam, despite a tremendously aggressive growth over the past 27 years, we continue to take special attention in hiring, developing and retain both leaders and a diverse high-quality workforce, providing both with an inclusive work environment. Each of our +66,000 employees worldwide works alongside many unique individuals – entrepreneurs, technical specialists, suppliers, customers, Government stakeholders – all doing their best to achieve mutual success. We have been very successful in retaining our talents, providing them with diverse experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth because we believe our people form the organisational fortification that defines Olam’s true competitive advantage.
As the Company grows in the challenging times we evolve today, we maintain our objectives in maximizing the long-term intrinsic value of our continuing shareholders. But with our area of influence we believe we have the responsibility to do it the right way, ensuring sustainability in the supply chains we operate by Growing Responsibly, our core purpose for all in the Company. More information about Olam overall sustainability strategy, also applicable to NCCL, available on the Company’s website www.olamgroup.com
In East Africa, we operate in 5 supply chains since 1994, coffee being the commodity with the largest scope and complexity but cotton, cocoa and edible nuts remaining a major focus. To support our Core Purpose in the region, Olam seeks a qualified candidate to serve as the Sustainability Assistant Manager for Tanzania, under the Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability (CR&S) Function. The position will require frequent travel in Tanzania, upcountry locations, as well as some neighboring countries when the work tasks require it. The Tanzania Sustainability Assistant Manager will work with the CR&S Function and various Businesses to initiate, implement, manage, and monitor the sustainability strategy for Olam in Tanzania.
Overview of Position
The role Sustainability Assistant Manager in Tanzania will involve managing day to day activities related to sustainability across all supply chains operated by Olam in Tanzania, including but not limited to orientating the various project teams on best addressing sustainability challenges faced in their respective supply chains and promoting safe working conditions. In addition, this role will require focus in implementing a strategy to maintain good stakeholder relationships with donors, civil society, local authorities and communities in order to build stronger partnership and develop the sustainability agenda across Tanzania supply chains. Finally, as Olam has developed high self-imposed sustainability standards, the role will require to ensure compliance to them while proactively working in evolving these standards and embedding the evolution of Olam global sustainability strategy at local level. Key Performance Responsibilities include
- Supervise the implementation of monitoring of the Olam Supplier Code, providing adequate support to the various business heads in designing the most adapted approach;
- Seek for new partnerships and new business development for sustainability projects in the region;
- Monitor the implementation of existing and future projects, ensuring the reporting is aligned with pre-determined requirements;
- Prepare and execute the roll-out of Olam Farmer Information System across all smallholder supply chains and support in the monitoring and analysis of data collected from it;
- Take a leadership role in designing case study from the country to demonstrate the business case of sustainability, including the compilation and analysis of field data collected;
- Working with the various coffee business heads to reinforce the Olam Safe culture by identifying gaps and providing suitable solutions to address these gaps;
- Participate to Olam CR&S event in the region while proactively integrating new developments in Olam Sustainability strategy into the country approach;
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
- As a minimum, Bachelor degree with solid experience OR Master Degree in sustainability management, agriculture, international development or similar relevant topics;
- Prior experience (minimum 5 years) in sustainability management required;
- Donor relations experience, preferably in developing project proposals, managing donor-funded projects and preparing monitoring and execution reports (with excellent writing and analytical skills in English);
- Ability to work in rural areas, in interdisciplinary and cross-cultural teams;
- Ability to work independently with limited directives but with a conscious in delivering on tasks and targets;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and remain open-minded and ready to take up new challenges. Proactive and driven by self-initiatives.
- Knowledge in coffee agronomy, processing and market is a plus.
Details on the Position
Location of posting: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (flexible, anywhere in East Africa in future);
Remuneration: Depending on experience
Type of Contract: 2 years renewable to permanent based on performance