Company: African Development Bank Group
Position: Lead Environmental & Social Compliance Officer, SNSC
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the development and revision of policies, strategies, guidelines, formats/manuals, tools and procedures, in particular the ISS in order to provide Bank staff, Regional offices and RMC clients with the ability to quickly assess and recommend measures to address environmental safeguards issues in projects and programmes.
2. Identify and prioritize knowledge needs of the Department; leading and providing oversight to the development of knowledge products in the Safeguards and Sustainability Series and the collection of lessons learned.
3. Establish and implement quality assurance process for knowledge products and their management.
4. Develop and implement capacity-building program for the Bank, RMCs and executing agencies, key stakeholders, and staff, through e-learning modules, workshops, etc.
5. Contribute to knowledge sharing and harmonization efforts through conferences, external knowledge management publications and others.
6. Provide expert leadership for the development and implementation of best practices and innovative approaches related to sustainability and risk management.
7. Coordinate strategic partnerships and networks with other entities such as the UN Agencies, Bilateral and Multilateral Agencies, including MDBs.
8. Provide strategic guidance and close liaison with the team managing the Integrated Safeguard System.
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Natural Science, Environmental Economics, Ecology or related discipline.
2. A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience, gained in international organizations or Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs). More than five (5) years are required in the area of environmental policy work and practical experience of safeguards implementation.
3. Knowledge and experience in operationalizing and coordinating the implementation of the ISS through the review and supervision of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs), Strategic Environmental and Social Assessments (SESA), Environmental and Social management Framework (ESMF) and Environmental and Social Management Systems (ESMSs), including social aspects of development projects (e.g. health and safety, involuntary resettlement components), operations monitoring and evaluation, and compliance assessment.
4. Demonstrable knowledge and practice of the operational safeguards policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in regional member countries, particularly with respect to infrastructure projects.
5. Analytical Tools for Environmental Sustainability – Extensive experience conducting environmental assessments and development of effective tools; ability to coach others in the application of the tools.
6. Mainstreaming Skills – demonstrated skills in mainstreaming environmental and social, as well climate change mitigation and adaptation measures in lending and non-lending operations.
7. Achieving results and problem solving – (e.g. consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes, proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services).
8. Strong inter-personal skill and ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
9. Communicate and write effectively in English and/or French.
10. It would be desirable to have a working knowledge of the other language, or even communicate and write effectively both in French and English.
11. Competence in the use of standard software applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP etc.)