Video Journalism Fellowship 2020
The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications (AKU-GSMC), in collaboration with Facebook, is roused to introduce “The Mobile Video Journalism Fellowship.” The Mobile Video Journalism Fellowship is an initiative that aims to strengthen the fibre of digital skills in journalism to improve the production of Kenyan Stories captured via high quality mobile video.
This fellowship program has been structured to further equip professional and creative story tellers aspiring to use mobile journalism to shape the future of media in East Africa. Selected fellows would be attached to local Kenyan newsrooms for a period of six months. The bigger picture is that their skills would have greatly improved after this period in the areas of storytelling with data, mobile editing and mobile journalism.
While formal education is NOT a prerequisite for eligibility, applicants MUST demonstrate some measure of experience and possess substantial knowledge in journalism, media, communications, video production or related field(s).
This fellowship pays a monthly gross stipend of USD $600 provided by The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications, AKU-GSMC. The payment would begin in March 2020.
1. Candidates should be 21 years of age and above.
2. Selected fellows must be available to work full-time in Nairobi, Kenya during the months of March to August 2020.
The application procedures involve the following steps:
1. Personal details.
2. Four short-responses to the following questions:
- Please share your reasons or inspirations for applying for this fellowship. (150 words max)
- What is your vision for the future of journalism and mobile storytelling? (150 words max)
- Please share one recent online news story (either hard/soft entertainment) that was impactful to you, and explain why. Also provide the link if available. (100 words max)
- If you could take a friend on a walk or drive anywhere in Kenya for 3 hours, where would you take them and what stories or experiences would you share? (250 words max)
3. Two submissions:
- One video you have created within the past six months that will be assessed on aspects of storytelling ability, creativity, relevance, and quality. This video can include, but not limited to social media, professional, news, entertainment and travel contents.
You’re sure you ticked all the boxes? Go here to apply. Deadline for application is January 31, 2020.
Best of luck!